We have a track record of success and over 260 students from more than 20 schools choose Northgate Sixth Form every year. From excellent exam results to flourishing personalities, below are some reasons for our widespread appeal:
- Excellent results – Summer of 2022 saw 74% of A Levels graded A* to C, with 30% of the overall entries awarded A* or A.
- The Sixth Form is a vibrant learning community, where every student is valued as an individual. In Sixth Form lessons, teachers plan stimulating and challenging learning opportunities. These help students to make strong progress. Students are offered a range of opportunities including leadership roles and work experience – Ofsted 2019.
- Specialist staff – students are taught by teachers that are specialists in their subject.
- First-rate IT and study facilities with a high standard of specialist teaching areas.
- Arts Centre: home to modern dance and drama studios.
- Sports Centre: excellent sports facilities including a 400m athletics track and a fitness centre. Sixth Form students have access to Northgate Gym.
Lots of choices
- Wide range of subjects and possible combinations of subjects – 32 A Level and 2 Level 3 qualifications.
- Variety of challenging and fun extra-curricular opportunities: from sports to music to theatre.
There’s help at hand
We’re not going to spoon-feed you, but we don’t expect you to do it all alone.
Here are the many ways we support you:
You’ll be part of a tutor group that meets daily for registration. During this time there will be an opportunity to discuss your academic and personal development.
Any questions or concerns can be discussed in the Sixth Form Office. Mr Alexander is the Head of Sixth Form, with three Assistant Heads; Miss Fowler, Mr Watson and Mrs Pope. Mrs Nunn is the Learning Support Assistant with Sixth Form responsibility, Mrs Cheesman, our Admissions Officer and Mrs Newbold, our Sixth Form Support Officer are all happy to help.
Pastoral Officers are available to give emotional support and advice to students when they are facing difficulties and give advice on study practices and revision skills.
We understand the sensitive nature of some things. This is why there’s an on-site counsellor and school nurse who are always available and anything discussed is confidential.
Most groups are taught in groups of 18 or less. This allows our teachers to provide a more personal learning experience.
Learning Support Department
Around the clock support for students with specific needs. If you have specific needs please contact Mrs Nunn or Mrs Keeble for an informal discussion. They are also happy to arrange individual visits where necessary.